Re: drivers by default (was Re: Another HID problem this merge window..)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Oct 28 2018 - 16:22:20 EST

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 4:16 AM Adam Borowski <kilobyte@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Amen to that. But, perhaps you could encourage people to do enable drivers
> once they become very popular? For example, I just (72a9c673636) got hit by
> USB 3.0 being off in defconfigs, and not having keyboard is not that cool.

Yes, that seems reasonable.

I don't think we need much of an explicit "policy" for these things,
though. Things that get _so_ ubiquitous that they should be marked
default globally (as opposed to just being in a defconfig file for
some board) are pretty rare, and them being "new" things are rarer
still.

Yeah, usb3 sounds like it would count, but I think that's such a rare
exception that I don't think we need to make a policy for it, just a
"hey, once or twice in a decade we have a new bus that became so
common that we should update the 'default' to y".

Linus