Re: [GIT PULL] nfsd changes for 4.20

From: J. Bruce Fields
Date: Wed Oct 31 2018 - 11:44:22 EST

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 01:06:58PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 12:55 PM Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Pulled,
>
> Oh, I take that back. Semantic conflict with locking name change
> (recv_lock -> queue_lock) and new code in
>
> net/sunrpc/xprtrdma/svc_rdma_backchannel.c
>
> exposed by my build test.
>
> And looking around, it was reported in linux-next, but you didn't
> mention it, which kind of makes the whole reporting pointless.
>
> Guys, what is the point of linux-next if you then don't *react* to it?
> The correct reaction is to say during the merge window that "hey,
> linux-next showed this issue", just so that I know about it and it
> doesn't take me by surprise.
>
> Yes, my normal build tests caught it, and I've fixed up my merge, but
> this isn't how things are supposed to work.

Apologies, thanks for the correction.

I see Stephen Rothwell's message from October 5. I think at the time I
said "OK, looks minor, just something to mention in the pull request",
then forgot about it.

In future when that happens, I'll add some kind of reminder to my
request-pull script.

Stephen also sent a warning about a merge conflict with the vfs tree
(not merged yet, I think) but I assume that's not as big a deal since it
should actually show up at merge time, not build time:

http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20181029122121.7758fed4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--b.