Re: Git pull ack emails..

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Oct 31 2018 - 14:35:10 EST

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 7:28 AM Konstantin Ryabitsev
<konstantin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Regarding your case specifically, what's a good cutoff period for
> treating a pull request as effectively ignored/abandoned (i.e. no
> matching commit-id ever found in the repo). I'm guessing about a month,
> or do you want to go longer, in case something shifts to the following
> merge window?

Oh, I'd definitely not go longer - if anything, I think it could be shorter.

My *normal* reaction time is on the order of days. But yes, every
merge window there are a couple of pulls that I end up delaying to the
end of the merge window when I'm supposed to have more time to really
review them. Right now I have three such pull requests pending, for
example (and had planned to look at them today, but then new "normal"
pull requests happened, so I still haven't gotten around to them).

But even when those things get put in my queue, the queue shouldn't be
longer than the 2-week merge window, and if it is, I end up responding
separately (ie writing people "ok, I'm still mulling this over, but
it's not making rc1").

So I think a one-month queue is more than sufficient, and if there are
reasons to time things out earlier, a two-week one would be perfectly
fine too.

Linus