Re: Will the recent memory leak fixes be backported to longterm kernels?

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Fri Nov 02 2018 - 04:04:10 EST

On Fri 02-11-18 02:45:42, Dexuan Cui wrote:
[...]
> I totally agree. I'm now just wondering if there is any temporary workaround,
> even if that means we have to run the kernel with some features disabled or
> with a suboptimal performance?

One way would be to disable kmem accounting (cgroup.memory=nokmem kernel
option). That would reduce the memory isolation because quite a lot of
memory will not be accounted for but the primary source of in-flight and
hard to reclaim memory will be gone.

Another workaround could be to use force_empty knob we have in v1 and
use it when removing a cgroup. We do not have it in cgroup v2 though.
The file hasn't been added to v2 because we didn't really have any
proper usecase. Working around a bug doesn't sound like a _proper_
usecase but I can imagine workloads that bring a lot of metadata objects
that are not really interesting for later use so something like a
targeted drop_caches...
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs