Re: RFC: userspace exception fixups

From: Sean Christopherson
Date: Fri Nov 02 2018 - 13:33:53 EST

On Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 10:13:23AM -0700, Dave Hansen wrote:
> On 11/2/18 10:06 AM, Sean Christopherson wrote:
> >>
> >> The problem is knowing what to do for the fixup. If we have a simple
> >> action to take that's universal, like backing up %RIP, or setting some
> >> other register state, it's not bad.
> >
> > Isn't the EENTER/RESUME behavior universal? Or am I missing something?
>
> Could someone write down all the ways we get in and out of the enclave?
>
> I think we always get in from userspace calling EENTER or ERESUME. We
> can't ever enter directly from the kernel, like via an IRET from what I
> understand.

Correct, the only way to get into the enclave is EENTER or ERESUME.
My understanding is that even SMIs bounce through the AEX target
before transitioning to SMM.

> We get *out* from exceptions, hardware interrupts, or enclave-explicit
> EEXITs. Did I miss any? Remind me where the hardware lands the control
> flow in each of those exit cases.

And VMExits. There are basically two cases: EEXIT and everything else.
EEXIT is a glorified indirect jump, e.g. %RBX holds the target %RIP.
Everything else is an Asynchronous Enclave Exit (AEX). On an AEX, %RIP
is set to a value specified by EENTER/ERESUME, %RBP and %RSP are
restored to pre-enclave values and all other registers are loaded with
synthetic state. The actual interrupt/exception/VMExit then triggers,
e.g. the %RIP on the stack for an exception is always the AEX target,
not the %RIP inside the enclave that actually faulted.