Re: RFC: userspace exception fixups

From: Sean Christopherson
Date: Tue Nov 06 2018 - 18:26:20 EST

On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 06:17:30PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 11:02:11AM -0800, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

> > > Yeah, I had the same gut feeling. Couldn't the debugger even treat the
> > > enclave like its own "thread" with its own stack and its own set of
> > > registers and context? That seems like a much more workable model than
> > > trying to weave it together with the EENTER context.
> >
> > So maybe the API should be, roughly
> >
> > sgx_exit_reason_t sgx_enter_enclave(pointer_to_enclave, struct
> > host_state *state);
> > sgx_exit_reason_t sgx_resume_enclave(same args);
> >
> > where host_state is something like:
> >
> > struct host_state {
> > unsigned long bp, sp, ax, bx, cx, dx, si, di;
> > };
> >
> > and the values in host_state explicitly have nothing to do with the
> > actual host registers. So, if you want to use the outcall mechanism,
> > you'd allocate some memory, point sp to that memory, call
> > sgx_enter_enclave(), and then read that memory to do the outcall.
> >
> > Actually implementing this would be distinctly nontrivial, and would
> > almost certainly need some degree of kernel help to avoid an explosion
> > when a signal gets delivered while we have host_state.sp loaded into
> > the actual SP register. Maybe rseq could help with this?
> >
> > The ISA here is IMO not well thought through.
>
> Maybe I'm mistaken about some fundamentals here, but my understanding
> of SGX is that the whole point is that the host application and the
> code running in the enclave are mutually adversarial towards one
> another. Do any or all of the proposed protocols here account for this
> and fully protect the host application from malicious code in the
> enclave? It seems that having control over the register file on exit
> from the enclave is fundamentally problematic but I assume there must
> be some way I'm missing that this is fixed up.

SGX provides protections for the enclave but not the other way around.
The kernel has all of its normal non-SGX protections in place, but the
enclave can certainly wreak havoc on its userspace process. The basic
design idea is that the enclave is a specialized .so that gets extra
security protections but is still effectively part of the overall
application, e.g. it has full access to its host userspace process'
virtual memory.