Re: RFC: userspace exception fixups

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Tue Nov 06 2018 - 18:40:05 EST

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 3:35 PM Sean Christopherson
<sean.j.christopherson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > The SDK "unconditionally" does ERESUME at the AEP location, but that's
> > > bit misleading because its signal handler may muck with the context's
> > > RIP, e.g. to abort the enclave on a fatal fault.
> > >
> > > On an event/exception from within an enclave, the event is immediately
> > > delivered after loading synthetic state and changing RIP to the AEP.
> > > In other words, jamming CPU state is essentially a bunch of vectoring
> > > ucode preamble, but from software's perspective it's a normal event
> > > that happens to point at the AEP instead of somewhere in the enclave.
> > > And because the signals the SDK cares about are all synchronous, the
> > > SDK can simply hardcode ERESUME at the AEP since all of the fault logic
> > > resides in its signal handler. IRQs and whatnot simply trampoline back
> > > into the enclave.
> > >
> > > Userspace can do something funky instead of ERESUME, but only *after*
> > > IRET/RSM/VMRESUME has returned to the AEP location, and in Linux's
> > > case, after the trap handler has run.
> > >
> > > Jumping back a bit, how much do we care about preventing userspace
> > > from doing stupid things?
> >
> > My general feeling is that userspace should be allowed to do apparently
> > stupid things. For example, as far as the kernel is concerned, Wine and
> > DOSEMU are just user programs that do stupid things. Linux generally tries
> > to provide a reasonably complete view of architectural behavior. This is
> > in contrast to, say, Windows, where IIUC doing an unapproved WRFSBASE May
> > cause very odd behavior indeed. So magic fixups that do non-architectural
> > things are not so great.
>
> Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but what if we only did fixup on ENCLU
> with a specific (ignored) prefix pattern? I.e. effectively make the magic
> fixup opt-in, falling back to signals. Jamming RIP to skip ENCLU isn't
> that far off the architecture, e.g. EENTER stuffs RCX with the next RIP so
> that the enclave can EEXIT to immediately after the EENTER location.

How does that even work, though? On an AEX, RIP points to the ERESUME
instruction, not the EENTER instruction, so if we skip it we just end
up in lala land.

How averse would everyone be to making enclave entry be a syscall?
The user code would do sys_sgx_enter_enclave(), and the kernel would
stash away the register state (vm86()-style), point RIP to the vDSO's
ENCLU instruction, point RCX to another vDSO ENCLU instruction, and
SYSRET. The trap handlers would understand what's going on and
restore register state accordingly.

On non-Meltdown hardware (hah!) this would even be fairly fast.

--Andy