Re: [patch 0/2] Documentation/process: Add subsystem/tree handbook

From: Dan Williams
Date: Thu Nov 08 2018 - 12:32:32 EST

On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 8:32 AM Mark Brown <broonie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 11:21:33AM -0500, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 04:05:17PM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
>
> > > My plumbers schedule is already 100% booked with MCs and other things.
> > > There is no kernel-summit schedule details available as of yet, but it
> > > is already almost certain that I will not have time for anything in that
> > > track anyway :/
>
> > I thought there was a slot already scheduled on the refereed track,
> > "Towards a Linux Kernel Mainainer Handbook" (Tuesday at 4:45pm) for
> > this purpose?
>
> I'm not 100% sure that people will pick up that the topic is about a
> handbook for working with maintainers rather than a handbook for being a
> maintainer from that title...

The intent is a handbook for being a maintainer. However, in the
process of describing how a given sub-system is maintained one also
needs to describe the local rules. So contributors should be able to
glean what matters to a sub-system from a description of how that
sub-system is maintained. In other words the direct audience is
maintainers, but it also hopefully makes the process more transparent
for contributors.