Re: Official Linux system wrapper library?

From: David Newall
Date: Fri Nov 23 2018 - 09:16:37 EST

On 24/11/18 12:04 am, Florian Weimer wrote:
But socketcall does not exist on all architectures. Neither does
getpid, it's called getxpid on some architectures.
I think it would be a poor approach to expose application developers to
these portability issues. We need to abstract over these differences at
a certain layer, and applications are too late.

Interesting. I think the opposite. I think exposing the OS's interfaces is exactly what a c-library should do. It might also provide alternative interfaces that work consistently across different platforms, but in addition to, not instead of the OS interface.