Re: WARN_ON() in netconsole with PREEMPT_RT

From: Oleksandr Natalenko
Date: Sat Nov 24 2018 - 14:15:56 EST

Hi.

On 12.11.2018 03:01, Steven Rostedt wrote:
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 21:16:00 +0100
Oleksandr Natalenko <oleksandr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Oh, I see that write_msg() calls netpoll_send_udp() under
spin_lock_irqsave(), but in PREEMPT_RT this, AFAIK, does not disable
interrupts.

So, the real question here is whether the interrupts should be indeed
disabled. And if so, -rt should replace spin_lock_irqsave() call there
with what? local_irq_save()? and get rid of the warning?

Why do we care if interrupts are disabled with PREEMPT_RT here?

I don't know, if you ask me. But the check was added intentionally with c9fd56b34efd0, so the author had definitely something on his mind. Cc'ing him.

printk() itself has a lot of issues with PREEMPT_RT that we are working
on dealing with. Right now netconsole is actually at the end of that
todo list.

OK, I see.

--
Oleksandr Natalenko (post-factum)