Re: [v5, PATCH 2/2] dt-binding: mediatek-dwmac: add binding document for MediaTek MT2712 DWMAC

From: biao huang
Date: Mon Nov 26 2018 - 20:39:43 EST

Dear Rob,
Thanks for your comments.
On Mon, 2018-11-26 at 15:46 -0600, Rob Herring wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 09:31:16AM +0800, biao huang wrote:
> > Dear Andrew,
> >
> > Thanks for you remind.
> >
> > Sincerely, I respect any comment from any reviewer. If I didn't reply
> > for any comment, really sorry for that.
> >
> > As to this "tx-delay" issue, the following reply in v3 maybe ignored.
> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/11/19/158
> >
> > "the delay time in mediatek dwmac design is not so accurate,
> > the current mt2712 and the following ICs will not use the
> > same delay design, but will use stages to indicate different
> > delay time.
> > so maybe "mediatek.tx-delay" represent the delay stage is a
> > good choice"
> >
> > And to make it clearer here.
> >
> > In mt2712, there are two delay macro circuit: named fine-tune and
> > coarse-tune.
> > a. fine-tune, 170+/-50ps per stage, total 32 stages
> > b. coarse-tune, 0.55+/-0.2ns per stage, total 32 stages
> > If we only consider mt2712, delay in fine-tune select a integer
> > multiple of 170ps, delay in coarse-tune select a integer multiple of
> > 550ps, for stage 0~31, the delay in fine-tune will not have the same
> > value with that in coarse-tune.
> > OK, It seems the property "fine-tune" can be eliminated .
> >
> > But the following ic will not have the same accuracy as mt2712,
> > and maybe will not have two delay macro circuit to be selected.
>
> New IC will have new compatible string then. If it is different, then
> likely these properties would have to change or have different meaning
> unless you use time.

OK, I'll use tx-delay-ps instead of tx-delay.
> > 1. assume two delay macro circuit in the following ic,
> > fine-tune, 100ps per stage, coarse-tune, 0.55ns per stage,
> > if we want delay 2.2ns, fine-tune will get a 22, and coarse-tune get a
> > 4. We can't distinguish which delay macro we are choosing.
>
> Why wouldn't you just choose fine-tune for anything less than the max
> range (3200ps in this example) and course for greater than 3100ps.

The fine-tune circuit and coarse-tune circuit are parallel, and
fine-tuen is a select switch.
It depends on users to choose which circuit is take effect.
I shouldn't assume users would choose fine-tune when delay < 3200ps, and
coarse for > 3100ps.

so, tx-delay-ps will be chosen, and "fine-tune" boolean property should
be remained as a indicator.
> > 2. assume only one delay macro circuit is used, a similar case as 1
> > will also increase the complexity of driver.
> > Then, we need define more flag property to know which delay macro we
> > are handling.
> >
> > The common things for all delay macro circuit in MediaTek mac design is
> > the stages, not the accuracy. so if we maintain stage info in "mediatek,
> > tx-delay", we only need care which stage we should choose.
> > And for each IC, we will recommend a best stage as a candidate.
>
> What if you had a 3rd delay circuit?

OK, tx-delay-ps will be a meaningful property.
If more delay circuit is added, fine-tune property(boolean --> u32) can
still be a indicator.