Re: rcu_preempt caused oom

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Thu Dec 06 2018 - 12:38:17 EST

On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 01:23:01PM +0000, He, Bo wrote:
> 1. The test is positive after set the kthread priority to SCHED_FIFO without CONFIG_RCU_BOOST, the issue is not reproduced until now.
> 2. Here is previous log enable the ftrace_dump, and we can get 4 seconds ftrace. The panic log was triggered with the enclosed debug patch, replaced the wait_for_completion(&rs_array[i].completion) with wait_for_completion_timeout(&rs_array[i].completion, 3*HZ) in __wait_rcu_gp(). The logs enabled the lockdep to dump the locks, and dump all tasks backtrace.

Thank you for collecting this information!

(By the way, the usual downside of the priority increase is increased
context-switch rate and thus CPU overhead.)

And all three grace-period kthreads are blocked apparently in their
top-level loops (though inlining and all that). There are quite a few
preemptions ("72738.702815: rcu_preempt_task: rcu_preempt"), but they
are all blocking the next grace period (29041008), not the current one
(29041004). And the "rcu_unlock_preempted_task" trace records flag the
current grace-period sequence number as 29041004, which means that there
is no grace period in progress, that is, RCU is idle.

Which explains why there is no RCU CPU stall warning -- after all, if
there is no grace period in flight, it is not possible to stall that
non-existent grace period.

That also could explain why increasing the priority of the grace-period
kthreads gets things going again. There have been a great number of
requests for a new grace period (for example, "rcu_future_grace_period:
rcu_preempt 29041004 29041008 0 0 3 Startleaf"), so as soon as the
grace-period kthread wakes up, a new grace period will start.

Except that the rcu_preempt task says "I" rather than "R", as you noted
in an earlier email.

And there should have been multiple attempts to wake up the grace-period
kthread, because there are lots of callbacks queued as in 136,045 of
them ("rcu_callback: rcu_preempt rhp=0000000066f735c9 func=file_free_rcu
2811/136045"). Which is of course why you are seeing the OOM.

So the question becomes "Why is the grace-period kthread being awakened
so many times, but not actually waking up?" In the past, there was a
scheduler bug that could cause that, but that was -way- before the v4.19
that you are running. More recently, there have been timer-related
problems, but those only happened while a grace period was active,
and where also long before v4.19.

Hmmm... One possibility is that you have somehow managed to invoke
call_rcu() with interrupts disabled, which would in turn disable the
extra wakeups that RCU sends when it sees excessive numbers of callbacks.
Except that in that case, boosting the priority wouldn't help. Besides,
the scheduling-clock interrupt should also check for this, and should
push things forward if need be.

If RCU managed to put all of its callbacks into the RCU_NEXT_READY_TAIL
bucket on all CPUs, that would defeat the wakeup-if-no-grace-period
checks (RCU is supposed to have started the relevant grace period before
putting callbacks into that bucket). But that cannot be the case here,
because new callbacks are being enqueued throughout, and these would
then trigger RCU's start-a-new-grace-period checks.

But it would be good to confirm that this is actually working like I would
expect it to. Could you please add scheduler wakeup to your tracing,
if possible, only displaying those sent to the rcu_preempt task?

Thanx, Paul