Re: overlayfs access checks on underlying layers

From: Vivek Goyal
Date: Thu Dec 13 2018 - 09:58:17 EST

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 09:51:59AM -0500, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On 12/11/18 4:48 PM, Vivek Goyal wrote:

> > > I don't understand what you are suggesting. In the case of a context mount,
> > > the context specified by the mounter must be assigned to the upper inode for
> > > any files that are copied up. Otherwise, changes to file data or metadata
> > > made through the overlay will be visible under two different security
> > > contexts simultaneously: the context of the overlay inode (i.e. the one
> > > specified by the mounter) and the context of the upper inode (in your
> > > suggestion, the context from the lower inode). This allows a violation of
> > > MAC policy where one can leak data through an overlay to an unauthorized
> > > context.
> >
> > Hi Stephen,
> >
> > Sorry, I don't understand this point of leaking data through overlay. Even
> > if we retain lower label on copy up (for device file), to open that file
> > process should have access on overlay context label and then mounter needs
> > to have access on upper inode (lower label). This is not different from
> > opening a file on lower. Just that metadata of this file on upper might
> > be different.
> >
> > Can you elaborate a bit more on how this is leaking data through overlay
> > mount. If it is, then why accessing file on lower is not equivalent of
> > leaking of data.
>
> In the container use case, retaining the lower label on copy-up for a
> context-mounted overlay permits a process in the container to leak the
> container data out to host files not labeled with the container label and
> thus potentially accessible to other containers or host processes.

> The
> container process appears to just be writing to files labeled with the
> container label via the overlay, but the written data and/or metadata is
> directly accessible through the lower label, which is likely readable to
> all/many containers and host processes.
>
> In the multi-level security (MLS) use case, an analogy would a situation
> where you have an unclassified lower dir with some content to be shared
> read-only across all levels, and an overlay is context-mounted at each level
> with a corresponding upper dir and work dir private to that level. If a
> client process at secret performs a write to a file via the secret overlay,
> and if the written data is stored in a file in the upper dir that inherits
> the label from the lower file (unclassified), then the secret process can
> leak data to unclassified processes at will, violating the MLS policy.

For the case of devices, its already happening. One might change metadata
of a device (hence trigger copy up). Now all writes to upper device file
from secret process still go to same underlying device and are still
readable from lower device file.

In fact, for the case of devices, that is even more of a reason to retain
the label same as lower. Otherwise upper device node is leaking data
of a secret process which can be accessed using device at lower/ (lower's
label is readable).

> The difference with the lower is that it is read-only and the mounter is
> explicitly choosing to export it under the new context for reading (but not
> for writing).

If we retain the label and if lower is not writable, then upper deivce
node is not being written to as well. So from label point of view, lower
and upper inode are not different. Only difference is that some metadata
of upper inode might be different.

Thanks
Vivek