Re: Can we drop upstream Linux x32 support?

From: Thomas Schoebel-Theuer
Date: Sat Dec 15 2018 - 02:47:54 EST

On 12/14/18 22:41, Thomas SchÃbel-Theuer wrote:
On 12/14/18 22:24, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

I'm talking about x32, which is a different beast.

So from my viewpoint the mentioned roadmap / timing requirements will remain the same, whatever you are dropping.

Enterprise-critical use cases will probably need to be migrated to KVM/qemu together with their old kernel versions, anyway (because the original hardware will be no longer available in a few decades).

Here is a systematic approach to the problem.

AFAICS legacy 32bit userspace code (which exists in some notable masses) can be executed at least in the following ways:

1) natively on 32bit-capable hardware, under 32bit kernels. Besides legacy hardware, this also encompasses most current Intel / AMD 64bit hardware in 32bit compatibility mode.

2) under 64bit kernels, using the 32bit compat layer from practically any kernel version.

3) under KVM/qemu.

When you just drop 1), users have a fair chance by migrating to any of the other two possibilities.

As explained, a time frame of ~5 years should work for the vast majority.

If you clearly explain the migration paths to your users (and to the press), I think it will be acceptable.

[side note: I know of a single legacy instance which is now ~20 years old, but makes a revenue of several millions per month. These guys have large quantities of legacy hardware in stock. And they have enough money to hire a downstream maintainer in case of emergency.]

Fatal problems would only arise if you would drop all three possibilities in the very long term.

In ~100 years, possibility 3) should be sufficient for handling use cases like preservation of historic documents. The latter is roughly equivalent to running binary-only MSDOS, Windows NT, and similar, even in 100 years, and even non-natively under future hardware architectures.