Re: general protection fault in put_pid

From: Dmitry Vyukov
Date: Sun Dec 23 2018 - 05:31:04 EST

On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 10:57 AM Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 8:37 AM Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 8:07 PM Manfred Spraul <manfred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Dmitry,

> > > As I wrote, unless semop() is used, sma->use_global_lock is always 9 and
> > > nothing can happen.
> > >
> > > Every single-operation semop() reduces use_global_lock by one, i.e a
> > > single semop call as done here cannot trigger the bug:
> > >
> > > https://syzkaller.appspot.com/text?tag=ReproSyz&x=16803afb400000
> >
> > It contains "repeat":true,"procs":6, which means that it run 6
> > processes running this test in infinite loop. The last mark about
> > number of tests executed was:
> > 2018/12/11 18:38:02 executed programs: 2955
> >
> > > But, one more finding:
> > >
> > > https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=1145ec2e23165570c3ac
> > >
> > > https://syzkaller.appspot.com/text?tag=CrashLog&x=109ecf6e400000
> > >
> > > The log file contain 1080 lines like these:

> > > It ends up as kmalloc(128*0x400x), i.e. slightly more than 2 MB, an
> > > allocation in the 4 MB kmalloc buffer:

> > > i.e.: 1147 4 MB kmalloc blocks --> are we leaking nearly 100% of the
> > > semaphore arrays??
> >
> > /\/\/\/\/\/\
> >
> > Ha, this is definitely not healthy.
>
> I can reproduce this infinite memory consumption with the C program:
> https://gist.githubusercontent.com/dvyukov/03ec54b3429ade16fa07bf8b2379aff3/raw/ae4f654e279810de2505e8fa41b73dc1d77778e6/gistfile1.txt
>
> But this is working as intended, right? It just creates infinite
> number of large semaphore sets, which reasonably consumes infinite
> amount of memory.
> Except that it also violates the memcg bound and a process can have
> effectively unlimited amount of such "drum memory" in semaphores.
>

> > > This one looks similar:
> > >
> > > https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=c92d3646e35bc5d1a909
> > >
> > > except that the array sizes are mixed, and thus there are kmalloc-1M and
> > > kmalloc-2M as well.
> > >
> > > (and I did not count the number of semget calls)
> > >

> > > The test apps use unshare(CLONE_NEWNS) and unshare(CLONE_NEWIPC), correct?
> > >
> > > I.e. no CLONE_NEWUSER.
> > >
> > > https://github.com/google/syzkaller/blob/master/executor/common_linux.h#L1523
> >
> > CLONE_NEWUSER is used on some instances as well:
> > https://github.com/google/syzkaller/blob/master/executor/common_linux.h#L1765
> > This crash happened on 2 different instances and 1 of them uses
> > CLONE_NEWUSER and another does not.
> > If it's important because of CAP_ADMIN in IPC namespace, then all
> > instances should have it (instances that don't use NEWUSER are just
> > root).

My naive attempts to re-reproduce this failed so far.
But I noticed that _all_ logs for these 3 crashes:
https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=c92d3646e35bc5d1a909
https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=1145ec2e23165570c3ac
https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=9d8b6fa6ee7636f350c1
involve low memory conditions. My gut feeling says this is not a
coincidence. This is also probably the reason why all reproducers
create large sem sets. There must be some bad interaction between low
memory condition and semaphores/ipc namespaces.