Re: hns3: Compilation of hns3_enet.c is triggered without changes

From: John Garry
Date: Wed Jan 02 2019 - 05:44:29 EST

On 29/12/2018 13:10, Stefan Wahren wrote:
Hi,

during development i noticed that hns3_enet.c is compiled even without any changes to this file.

I think the reason for this is the usage of VERMAGIC_STRING in this file. So it would be nice if you could somehow replace this define.

Kind regards
Stefan

I reported this issue internally some time ago. Apparently it is required to reference VERMAGIC_STRING, but I don't know why.

I see that this driver has similar issue:
https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/drivers/net/ethernet/netronome/nfp/nfp_main.c#L34

Another annoying thing I find is the amount of references to UTS_RELEASE (which also causes rebuilds), like:
https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/drivers/base/firmware_loader/main.c#L281

Can't we just make a static string for these, to save the rebuilding the dependent modules?

Thanks,
John