RE: [RFC v4 0/3] pstore/rom: new support logger for block devices

From: Luck, Tony
Date: Thu Jan 03 2019 - 12:18:53 EST

I'm curious why you call this "pstore/rom" rather than the more descriptive "pstore/block".

It looks to be a really good idea.

I think you need to document how the "write" function for the block device must be written.
Since pstore calls this at "panic" time, the write path:

+ Cannot allocate any memory
+ Must be polled, not interrupt driven
+ Cannot take any locks that may be held by regular code
+ ... perhaps other restrictions that I can't think of right now

The memory allocation restriction is likely easy to get around. Just allocate anything
you need at pstore "init" time rather than waiting until the panic.

-Tony