Re: selftests/bpf doesn't compile

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Fri Jan 04 2019 - 12:16:47 EST

Hi Shuah,

CC kbuild, gpio

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 5:34 PM Shuah Khan <shuah@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> bpf test depends on clang and fails to compile when

> make -C tools/testing/selftests/bpf run_tests
>

> make: clang: Command not found
> Makefile:39: recipe for target '.linux-kselftest/tools/testing/selftests/bpf/test_pkt_access.o' failed
> make: *** [./linux-kselftest/tools/testing/selftests/bpf/test_pkt_access.o] Error 127
> make: Leaving directory '.linux-kselftest/tools/testing/selftests/bpf'

The above failure is indeed due to missing clang.

> With "make TARGETS=bpf kselftest" it fails earlier:
>
> make[3]: Entering directory './linux-kselftest/tools/lib/bpf'
> Makefile:40: tools/scripts/Makefile.arch: No such file or directory
> Makefile:84: tools/build/Makefile.feature: No such file or directory
> Makefile:143: tools/build/Makefile.include: No such file or directory

This is due to srctree being "." instead of the actual source tree,
when invoked as "make kselftest".
When using "make -C tools/testing/selftests", srctree is correct.

tools/testing/selftests/bpf/Makefile has:

$(BPFOBJ): force
$(MAKE) -C $(BPFDIR) OUTPUT=$(OUTPUT)/

to enter the tools/lib/bpf directory to force a build of libbpf.a

Note that tools/gpio has the same issue.

There seem to be _four_ different ways to build kselftests
(Documentation/dev-tools/kselftest.rst):

make kselftest
make O=/path/to/output kselftest
make -C tools/testing/selftests
make O=/path/to/output -C tools/testing/selftests

I'm not so fond of the latter two, as they basically run make from
somewhere inside the tree, which complicates things. I believe we don't
support this anywhere else.

Each of the four seem to have (different) issues. Especially when you
throw cross-compiling into the mix. And care about where installed
headers end up (yes, kselftest calls headers_install internally).

I'm working on fixes for some of them, but I don't know how to fix the
srctree issue.

Anyone with a suggestion?

Thanks!

> make[3]: *** No rule to make target 'tools/build/Makefile.include'. Stop.
> make[3]: Leaving directory '.linux-kselftest/tools/lib/bpf'
> Makefile:34: recipe for target './linux-kselftest/tools/testing/selftests/bpf/libbpf.a' failed
> make[2]: *** [./linux-kselftest/tools/testing/selftests/bpf/libbpf.a] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory './linux-kselftest/tools/testing/selftests/bpf'
> Makefile:69: recipe for target 'all' failed
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> Makefile:1190: recipe for target 'kselftest' failed
> make: *** [kselftest] Error 2

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds