Re: possible deadlock in __wake_up_common_lock

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Mon Jan 07 2019 - 16:29:45 EST

On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 03:46:27PM -0500, Johannes Weiner wrote:
> Hm, so the splat says this:
>
> wakeups take the pi lock
> pi lock holders take the rq lock
> rq lock holders take the timer base lock (thanks psi)
> timer base lock holders take the zone lock (thanks kasan)
> problem: now a zone lock holder wakes up kswapd
>
> right? And we can break the chain from the VM or from psi.

Yep. And since PSI it the latest addition to that chain, I figured we
ought maybe not do that. But I've not looked at a computer in 2 weeks,
so what do I know ;-)

> I cannot say one is clearly cleaner than the other, though. With kasan
> allocating from inside the basic timer code, those locks leak out from
> kernel/* and contaminate the VM locking anyway.
>
> Do you think the rq->lock -> base->lock ordering is likely to cause
> issues elsewhere?

Not sure; we nest the hrtimer base lock under rq->lock (at the time I
fixed hrtimers to not hold it's base lock over the timer function
callback, just like regular timers already did) and that has worked
fine.

So maybe we should look at the kasan thing.. dunno.