Re: seqcount usage in xt_replace_table()

From: Andrea Parri
Date: Wed Jan 09 2019 - 06:24:42 EST

On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 04:36:46PM -0800, Anatol Pomozov wrote:
> Hello
>
> On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 4:02 PM Andrea Parri
> <andrea.parri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Anatol,
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 11:33:39AM -0800, Anatol Pomozov wrote:
> > > Hello folks,
> > >
> > > A bit of context what I am doing. I am trying to port KTSAN (Kernel
> > > Thread Sanitizer) tool to v4.20. That tool tracks shared data usage
> > > and makes sure it is accessed in a thread-safe manner.
> >
> > Interesting! FYI, some LKMM's maintainers (Paul included) had and
> > continued to have some "fun" discussing topics related to "thread-
> > safe memory accesses": I'm sure that they'll be very interested in
> > such work of yours and eager to discuss your results.
>
> Thread Sanitizer is a great tool to find thread-safety issues with
> user-space code. The tool been developed by a team of smart people
> from Google [1].
>
> KTSAN is an attempt to bring the same ideas to Linux kernel [2]. A
> bunch of work been done there but the project is still at
> proof-of-concept point.

Yes, I have been aware of these tools since at least ;-)

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/ktsan/bVZ1c6H2NE0/Dxrw55bfBAAJ

> I am not a part of Google's dynamic tools team. But I've decided to
> pick something to do during the New Year holidays so started porting
> KTSAN from v4.2 to v4.20. The work is "almost completed" but I need to
> fix a few crashes [3].

I guess my first reaction would remain

"it's kind of hard (to use an euphemism) to review 7,582 additions
or so for a data race detector without a clear/an accepted (by the
community) notion of data race..."

Andrea