Re: x86/fpu: Don't export __kernel_fpu_{begin,end}()

From: Sebastian Andrzej Siewior
Date: Wed Jan 09 2019 - 12:09:41 EST

On 2019-01-09 17:52:35 [+0100], Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> If there are no in-kernel users, the symbols should not be exported
> anymore. That's nothing new, we have always done this.

The thing is that we had
EXPORT_SYMBOL(__kernel_fpu_begin)
EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(kernel_fpu_begin)

and now __kernel_fpu_begin() is no longer exported and static only.
All in kernel user (including the kvm module) use kernel_fpu_begin()
which is not available to proprietary modules. Hence Marc's mail.

> > On the other hand could we just drop EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL? I doubt this
> > helps in any way yet please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Yes, it helps, please leave it as-is.

As you say. I only notice that certain things used to work and then no
longer do because due to $rework it somehow become EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL
only and people complain and we tend to switch the export back to
EXPORT_SYMBOL. I'm not aware of a case where it actually helped in
anyway.

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Sebastian