Re: x86/fpu: Don't export __kernel_fpu_{begin,end}()

From: Rene Schickbauer
Date: Tue Jan 15 2019 - 08:10:58 EST

On 10.01.19 19:24, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

Dear Greg!

My tolerance for ZFS is pretty non-existant. Sun explicitly did not
want their code to work on Linux, so why would we do extra work to get
their code to work properly?

I'm not a kernel developer. I'm an application developer and system administrator. I'm also an Open Source advocate who regularly holds talks at Austrias biggest Linux conference in Graz.

Usually i'm not too interested in the internals of Linux kernel development, but this issue affects me on many levels.

ZFS brings me a lot of features, convenience and, most important of all, stability and reliability that i'm missing in other Linux filesystems.

ZFS on Linux is open source, made by people who invest their time and money into creating and maintaining a great filesystem. How can you say they are wrong in doing so?

To be frank, your argument, which boils down to "GPL is the only correct open source license", makes me ashamed to have been advocating people switching to Linux. This is exactly the kind of argument that made me switch away from closed source operating systems like Windows, only then it was Steve Ballmer using it against open source.

I understand that different open source licenses have different mindsets. But that doesn't make those other licenses any less valid. They still give us developers the freedom to learn, the freedom to build great systems, the freedom to change the world for the better. Not every project is able, or willing, to adopt the GPL. (I, for one, release my software under Perls Artistic license, because the GPL is too restrictive for my purpose).

So, please try to understand that non-GPL open source is still a useful resource for many of us out there. Maybe it helps to remember that Linux might never have existed if Linus Torvalds had never had the ability to experiment with the Minix source code and got inspired by it to write something more capable.

As for ZFS and me, ZFS is rather important to my work. If push comes to shove, i'm more inclined to switching to FreeBSD than to switch to another filesystem at this point in time. But i'm really hoping that this issue will get resolved by allowing to continue using non-GPL open source in Linux.

Sincerely,
Rene Schickbauer