Re: Regression: spi: core: avoid waking pump thread from spi_sync instead run teardown delayed

From: Jon Hunter
Date: Wed Jan 16 2019 - 06:01:44 EST

On 15/01/2019 21:25, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 09:58:55PM +0100, Martin Sperl wrote:
>
>> Maybe a bigger change to the reduce the complexity of
>> the state machine would solve that problem and also
>> reduce code complexity...
>
> Yeah, that's where I was getting to with that test patch I posted.
>
>> I may find some time over the weekend if no solution
>> has been found until then.
>
> Thanks for volunteering :)
>
>> The way I would envision it it would have a âstateâ
>> as a level (0=shutdown, 1=hw enabled, 2=in pump,
>> 3=in transfer, 4=in hw-mode,...) and a complete
>> to allow waking the shutdown thread (and by this
>> avoiding the busy wait loop we have now).
>> This would replace those idling, busy, and running flags.
>
> That's a good idea, yes - a single enum much more reflects what we can
> actually do in terms of transitions.
>
>> Drawback: it is invasive, but let us see what it
>> really looks like...
>
> I think we need to either drop your change (which would be bad since it
> is a big performance improvement, I'd punted it for later when I did the
> original refactoring to push the work into the caller threads then never
> got around to it) or have a invasive changes to make the new situation
> clearer. Right now things are just far too complex to reason about
> which isn't helping anyone.

What I am seeing on Tegra is that the SPI controller is no longer
runtime-pm suspended and so while this may improve performance, I think
that this change is going to have a negative impact on idle power.

I would be surprised if this problem is specific to Tegra because I
don't see how the controller's busy state can ever be cleared :-(

Cheers
Jon

--
nvpublic