Re: [RFC] perf tools: Filter out hidden symbols from labels

From: Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo
Date: Thu Jan 17 2019 - 08:26:19 EST

Em Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 10:25:24AM +0000, Nick Clifton escreveu:
> Hi Arnaldo,

> > Would be interestint to have that info, as we could hint the user that
> > backtraces should be done with something else than '--call-graph fp' :-)
>
> OK, well I have added the feature to annobin 8.67, now in Fedora
> rawhide. Unfortunately it will take a while before the information
> actually gets into binaries, since the new data is only recorded
> when a package is rebuilt. So basically you are looking at Fedora 30
> at the earliest.

That is not a problem, I have containers for rawhide, so I can just go
ahead and do a podman pull + build, build some binary, and then add the
feature, the warning will get into effect when that note is found and
userspace callchains are used without DWARF info for such binaries.

> If you want to see the plugin in action, build something on a rawhide
> system (or a mock chroot) using the gcc command line option -fplugin=annobin.

Right, that is what I'll do as soon as I get the time.

> (Make sure that you have annobin-8.67 installed). Then once the binary
> is built run "readelf --wide --notes <file> | grep omit" to see the
> omit-frame-pointer notes.

Thanks for the hints, I'll get you CCed when I get to work on this.

- Arnaldo