Re: [RFC] Provide in-kernel headers for making it easy to extend the kernel

From: hpa
Date: Mon Jan 21 2019 - 03:02:37 EST

On January 20, 2019 5:45:53 PM PST, Joel Fernandes <joel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Sun, Jan 20, 2019 at 01:58:15PM -0800, hpa@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> On January 20, 2019 8:10:03 AM PST, Joel Fernandes
><joel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>memory.

>the

>> >initramfs

>> >switch
>> >all

>in-kernel
>> >stuff there is the less smiley are things to actually be supported.
>> >
>> >It is better than nothing, and if this makes things a bit easier and
>> >solves
>> >real-world issues people have been having, and is optional, then I
>> >don't see
>> >why not.

>> >that point you are relying on the filesystem containing the module,
>> >which has to be loaded into the kernel by a root user. One could
>even
>> >wonder if a better way to do this would be to have "make
>> >modules_install" park an archive file â or even a directory as
>opposed
>> >to a symlink â with this stuff in /lib/modules. We could even
>provide a
>> >tmpfs shim which autoloads such an archive via the firmware loader;
>> >this might even be generically useful, who knows.
>> >
>> >All this seems to assume where the modules are located. In Android,
>we
>> >don't
>> >have /lib/modules. This patch generically fits into the grand scheme
>> >things
>> >and I think is just better made a part of the kernel since it is not
>> >that
>> >huge once compressed, as Dan also pointed. The more complex, and the
>> >more
>> >assumptions we make, the less likely people writing tools will get
>it
>> >right
>> >and be able to easily use it.

>> >Extracting such content into a single-instance tmpfs would again be
>> >possibility
>> >
>> >Such an approach would bloat the kernel image size though, which may
>> >not work
>> >for everyone. The module based approach, on the other hand, gives an
>> >option
>> >to the user to enable the feature, but not have it loaded into
>memory
>> >or used
>> >until it is really needed.
>> >
>> >thanks,
>> >
>> > - Joel
>>
>> Well, where are the modules? They must exist in the filesystem.
>
>The scheme of loading a module doesn't depend on _where_ the module is
>on the
>filesystem. As long as a distro knows how to load a module in its own
>way (by
>looking into whichever paths it cares about), that's all that matters.
>And
>the module contains compressed headers which saves space, vs storing it
>uncompressed on the file system.

> [...]

My point is that if we're going to actually solve a problem, we need to make it so that the distro won't just disable it anyway, and it ought to be something scalable; otherwise nothing is gained.

I am *not* disagreeing with the problem statement!

Now, /proc isn't something that will autoload modules. A filesystem *will*, although you need to be able to mount it; furthermore, it makes it trivially to extend it (and the firmware interface provides an . easy way to feed the data to such a filesystem without having to muck with anything magic.)

Heck, we could even make it a squashfs image that can just be mounted.

So, first of all, where does Android keep its modules, and what is actually included? Is /sbin/modprobe used to load the modules, as is normal? We might even be able to address this with some fairly trivial enhancements to modprobe; specifically to search in the module paths for something that isn't a module per se.

The best scenario would be if we could simply have the tools find the location equivalent of /lib/modules/$version/source...