Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Page flags, can we free up space ?

From: David Hildenbrand
Date: Wed Jan 30 2019 - 06:52:04 EST

On 22.01.19 21:17, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> So lattely i have been looking at page flags and we are using 6 flags
> for memory reclaim and compaction:
>
> PG_referenced
> PG_lru
> PG_active
> PG_workingset
> PG_reclaim
> PG_unevictable
>
> On top of which you can add the page anonymous flag (anonymous or
> share memory)
> PG_anon // does not exist, lower bit of page->mapping
>
> And also the movable flag (which alias with KSM)
> PG_movable // does not exist, lower bit of page->mapping

I would really like to see an easier way to spot if a page is movable.

__PageMovable() can produce way to many false positives.

movable will usually not be paired with other flags you mentioned as of now.

If many of these flags are not used in combination, we could merge some
of the flags into a number field. Valid combinations would get a number
assigned.

To keep it simple, only flags that are completely exclusive might be a
candidate. But not sure if we really have many of these.

--

Thanks,

David / dhildenb