Re: [RFC v1 0/3] Address potential user-after-free on module unload

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Feb 06 2019 - 11:47:05 EST

On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 02:12:31PM -0500, Sven Van Asbroeck wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 1:43 PM Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > It really should happen when the device is removed (if it is a driver
> > that binds to a device.)
>
> Absolutely. That's why I'm advocating adding a devm_init_work(),
> which will take care of this automatically.
>
> But it's of course not universally applicable. Not all drivers use devm.

Ick, no, watch out for devm() calls. Odds are this is _NOT_ what you
want to do for a device. Remember when devm calls get freed (hint, not
at driver unbind/unload, but at device structure removal.

By creating a work queue, you are suddenly tying module code to a device
memory structure lifespan, both of which are totally independant.

It's the same issue with the devm irq call, that has been nothing but a
nightmare as everyone gets it wrong. Try to learn from our past
mistakes please :)

thanks,

greg k-h