Re: [RFC] On the Current Troubles of Mainlining Loongson Platform Drivers

From: Aaro Koskinen
Date: Mon Feb 11 2019 - 18:06:19 EST

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 08:38:00PM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2019, Tom Li <tomli@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> and, more recently, a very slow system overall, that's been present since
> >> 4.20.
>
> > The mainline framebuffer driver doesn't have any hardware drawing, printing
> > even a single line on the console is required a full screen redraw via memory-
>
> That doesn't seem to explain even a quiet boot up taking several times
> longer than 4.19, and package installation over an ethernet connection
> (thus not using the console) also taking several times longer.

Maybe it's a slow disk?

ATA (libata) CS5536 driver is having issues with spurious IRQs and often
disables IRQs completely during the boot. You should see a warning
in dmesg. This was the reason for slowness on my FuLoong mini-PC. A
workaround is to switch to old IDE driver.

Discussion: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mips/20190106124607.GK27785@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

A.