Re: [Intel-gfx] BUG: KASAN: use-after-free in intel_hdmi_destroy+0x79/0x80

From: Hans Verkuil
Date: Mon Feb 25 2019 - 09:43:19 EST

Hi Jani,

On 2/25/19 2:40 PM, Jani Nikula wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2019, Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is 5.0-rc7 on an old Toshiba Portege laptop.
No hdmi or other external video.

Linux dragon.dunlab 5.0.0-rc7mod #3 SMP PREEMPT Wed Feb 20 00:05:17 PST 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

on openSUSE LEAP 15.0 distro.

Full boot log is attached.

On a hunch, caused by 9c229127aee2 ("drm/i915: hdmi: add CEC notifier to
intel_hdmi") referencing the encoder in connector destroy hook. We
should probably move the cec_notifier_put() call in the encoder destroy
hook.

So the intel_encoder_destroy function is/can be called before the intel_hdmi_destroy function? Sounds odd. I would expect that the connectors are destroyed before the encoders.

In any case, I am happy to try it in another destroy hook, but I need
advice which hook I should use and how I get to the cec_notifier from
whatever structure pointer I have in that destroy hook.

I tried to figure it out, but I became very confused :-)

Regards,

Hans