Re: KASAN: use-after-free Read in get_mem_cgroup_from_mm

From: Mike Rapoport
Date: Wed Mar 06 2019 - 01:26:55 EST

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 01:53:12PM +0800, zhong jiang wrote:
> On 2019/3/6 10:05, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > [ CC'ed Mike and Peter ]

> >> Yep, Indeed, I can not figure out how the race works. I will dig up further.
> > Yes it's a race condition.
> >
> > We were aware about the non-cooperative fork userfaultfd feature
> > creating userfaultfd file descriptor that gets reported to the parent
> > uffd, despite they belong to mm created by failed forks.
> >
> > https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-mm/msg136357.html
> >

> Hi, Andrea
>
> I still not clear why uffd ioctl can use the incomplete process as the mm->owner.
> and how to produce the race.

There is a C reproducer in the syzcaller report:

https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.c?x=172fa5a3400000

> From your above explainations, My underdtanding is that the process handling do_exexve
> will have a temporary mm, which will be used by the UUFD ioctl.

The race is between userfaultfd operation and fork() failure:

forking thread | userfaultfd monitor thread
--------------------------------+-------------------------------
fork() |
dup_mmap() |
dup_userfaultfd() |