Re: [RFC][Patch v9 2/6] KVM: Enables the kernel to isolate guest free pages

From: Nitesh Narayan Lal
Date: Wed Mar 13 2019 - 07:54:38 EST

On 3/12/19 5:13 PM, Alexander Duyck wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 12:46 PM Nitesh Narayan Lal <nitesh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> You are correct up to here. When we isolate the page it isn't counted
>>> against the free pages. However after we complete the hint we end up
>>> taking it out of isolation and returning it to the "free" state, so it
>>> will be counted against the free pages.

>>> Getting back to the ideas from our earlier discussion, we had 3 stages
>>> for things. Free but not hinted, isolated due to hinting, and free and
>>> hinted. So what we would need to do is identify the size of the first
>>> pool that is free and not hinted by knowing the total number of free
>>> pages, and then subtract the size of the pages that are hinted and
>>> still free.
>> To summarize, for now, I think it makes sense to stick with the current
>> approach as this way we can avoid any locking in the allocation path and
>> reduce the number of hypercalls for a bunch of MAX_ORDER - 1 page.
> I'm not sure what you are talking about by "avoid any locking in the
> allocation path". Are you talking about the spin on idle bit, if so
> then yes.
Yeap!
> However I have been testing your patches and I was correct
> in the assumption that you forgot to handle the zone lock when you
> were freeing __free_one_page.
Yes, these are the steps other than the comments you provided in the
code. (One of them is to fix release_buddy_page())
> I just did a quick copy/paste from your
> zone lock handling from the guest_free_page_hinting function into the
> release_buddy_pages function and then I was able to enable multiple
> CPUs without any issues.
>
>> For the next step other than the comments received in the code and what
>> I mentioned in the cover email, I would like to do the following:
>> 1. Explore the watermark idea suggested by Alex and bring down memhog
>> execution time if possible.
> So there are a few things that are hurting us on the memhog test:
> 1. The current QEMU patch is only madvising 4K pages at a time, this
> is disabling THP and hurts the test.
Makes sense, thanks for pointing this out.

> 2. The fact that we madvise the pages away makes it so that we have to
> fault the page back in in order to use it for the memhog test. In
> order to avoid that penalty we may want to see if we can introduce
> some sort of "timeout" on the pages so that we are only hinting away
> old pages that have not been used for some period of time.

Possibly using MADVISE_FREE should also help in this, I will try this as
well.

If we could come up with something bit which we could reuse then we may
be able to tackle this issue easily. I will look into this.

> 3. Currently we are still doing a large amount of processing in the
> page free path. Ideally we should look at getting away from trying to
> do so much per-cpu work and instead just have some small tasks that
> put the data needed in the page, and then have a separate thread
> walking the free_list checking that data, isolating the pages, hinting
> them, and then returning them back to the free_list.
I will probably defer this analysis for now, once we have other things
fixed. I can possibly evaluate/compare the performance impact with both
the approach and chose from them.

> [...]
>> can run to do the same. (I am planning to run atleast netperf, hackbench
>> and stress for this).
> So I have been running the memhog 32g test and the will-it-scale
> page_fault1 test as my primary two tests for this so far.
>
> What I have seen so far has been pretty promising. I had to do some
> build fixes, fixes to QEMU to hint on the full size page instead of 4K
> page, and fixes for locking so this isn't exactly your original patch
> set, but with all that I am seeing data comparable to the original
> patch set I had.
>
> For memhog 32g I am seeing performance similar to a VM that was fresh
> booted. I make that the comparison because you will have to take page
> faults on a fresh boot as you access additional memory. However after
> the first run of the runtime drops from 22s to 20s without the
> hinting enabled.
>
> The big one that probably still needs some work will be the multi-cpu
> scaling. With the per-cpu locking for the zone lock to pull pages out,
> and put them back in the free list I am seeing what looks like about a
> 10% drop in the page_fault1 test. Here are the results as I have seen
> so far on a 16 cpu 32G VM:
>
> -- baseline --
> ./runtest.py page_fault1
> tasks,processes,processes_idle,threads,threads_idle,linear
> 0,0,100,0,100,0
> 1,522242,93.73,514965,93.74,522242
> 2,929433,87.48,857280,87.50,1044484
> 3,1360651,81.25,1214224,81.48,1566726
> 4,1693709,75.01,1437156,76.33,2088968
> 5,2062392,68.77,1743294,70.78,2611210
> 6,2271363,62.54,1787238,66.75,3133452
> 7,2564479,56.33,1924684,61.77,3655694
> 8,2699897,50.09,2205783,54.28,4177936
> 9,2931697,43.85,2135788,50.20,4700178
> 10,2939384,37.63,2258725,45.04,5222420
> 11,3039010,31.41,2209401,41.04,5744662
> 12,3022976,25.19,2177655,35.68,6266904
> 13,3015683,18.98,2123546,31.73,6789146
> 14,2921798,12.77,2160489,27.30,7311388
> 15,2846758,6.51,1815036,17.40,7833630
> 16,2703146,0.36,2121018,18.21,8355872
>
> -- modified rh patchset --
> ./runtest.py page_fault1
> tasks,processes,processes_idle,threads,threads_idle,linear
> 0,0,100,0,100,0
> 1,527216,93.72,517459,93.70,527216
> 2,911239,87.48,843278,87.51,1054432
> 3,1295059,81.22,1193523,81.61,1581648
> 4,1649332,75.02,1439403,76.17,2108864
> 5,1985780,68.81,1745556,70.44,2636080
> 6,2174751,62.56,1769433,66.84,3163296
> 7,2433273,56.33,2121777,58.46,3690512
> 8,2537356,50.17,1901743,57.23,4217728
> 9,2737689,43.87,1859179,54.17,4744944
> 10,2718474,37.65,2188891,43.69,5272160
> 11,2743381,31.47,2205112,38.00,5799376
> 12,2738717,25.26,2117281,38.09,6326592
> 13,2643648,19.06,1887956,35.31,6853808
> 14,2598001,12.92,1916544,27.87,7381024
> 15,2498325,6.70,1992580,26.10,7908240
> 16,2424587,0.45,2137742,21.37,8435456
>
> As we discussed earlier, it would probably be good to focus on only
> pulling something like 4 to 8 (MAX_ORDER - 1) pages per round of
I agree that I should bring down the page-set on which I am working.
> You might also look at only working one zone at a time. Then
> what you could do is look at placing the pages you have already hinted
> on at the tail end of the free_list and pull a new set of pages out to
> hint on.
I think for this we still need a way to check if a particular page is
hinted or not.
--
Regards
Nitesh