Re: overlayfs vs. fscrypt

From: James Bottomley
Date: Wed Mar 13 2019 - 16:06:11 EST

On Wed, 2019-03-13 at 12:57 -0700, Eric Biggers wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 12:17:52PM -0700, James Bottomley wrote:

> > > But while the container is running, the key is available and
> > > instantiated in the kernel, and the kernel is free to decrypt any
> > > encrypted file/block.
> >
> > In the current encrypted tar file implementation, while the
> > container is running the decrypted tar file is extracted into the
> > container root and available for all to see.
> >
> > The main security benefit of this implementation, as I said, is
> > security of at rest images and the runtime security is guaranteed
> > by other systems.
>
> That's not security at rest, because you're decrypting the data and
> storing it onto the local disk.

I mean image at rest and image running. The local disk untar only
happens for running image.

> fscrypt would allow the data to be stored encrypted on the local
> disk, so it's protected against offline compromise of the disk.

Container images are essentially tars of the overlays. They only
become actual filesystems when instantiated at runtime. The current
encrypted container image is an overlay or set of overlays which is
tarred then encrypted. So to instantiate it is decrypted then
untarred.

The thing I was wondering about was whether instead of a tar encrypt we
could instead produce an encrypted image from a fscrypt filesystem.

James