Re: -Wsometimes-uninitialized Clang warning in net/tipc/node.c

From: Nick Desaulniers
Date: Wed Mar 20 2019 - 16:51:14 EST

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 12:07 PM Nathan Chancellor
<natechancellor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 05:17:23PM -0700, Nathan Chancellor wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We are trying to get Clang's -Wsometimes-uninitialized turned on for the
> > kernel as it can catch some bugs that GCC can't. This warning came up:
> >
> > net/tipc/node.c:831:6: warning: variable 'maddr' is used uninitialized whenever 'if' condition is false [-Wsometimes-uninitialized]
> > if (!tipc_link_is_establishing(l)) {
> > ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > net/tipc/node.c:847:46: note: uninitialized use occurs here
> > tipc_bearer_xmit(n->net, bearer_id, &xmitq, maddr);
> > ^~~~~
> > net/tipc/node.c:831:2: note: remove the 'if' if its condition is always true
> > if (!tipc_link_is_establishing(l)) {
> > ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > net/tipc/node.c:821:31: note: initialize the variable 'maddr' to silence this warning
> > struct tipc_media_addr *maddr;
> > ^
> > = NULL
> > 1 warning generated.
> >
> > This definitely appears to be a legitimate warning but I'm not sure of
> > the proper solution (should maddr be initialized to NULL or should it be
> > set to something different in the else branch). Your input would be
> > greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Nathan
>
> Gentle ping (if there was a response to this, I didn't receive it). I
> know I sent it in the middle of a merge window so I get if it slipped
> through the cracks.
>
> Thanks,
> Nathan

The use in tipc_bearer_xmit() isn't even guaranteed to set the in/out
parameter, so even if the if is taken doesn't guarantee that maddr is
always initialized before calling tipc_bearer_xmit().

At the minimum, we should initialize maddr to NULL. I think we'd
prefer to risk the possibility of a null pointer dereference to the
possibility of working with uninitialized memory. To be clear, both
are bad, but one is easier to spot/debug later than the other.

Thanks for bringing this up for discussion, sorry I missed it before.
--
Thanks,
~Nick Desaulniers