Re: regression (bisected): "modprobe parport_pc" hangs in current mainline

From: Michal Kubecek
Date: Wed Mar 20 2019 - 17:18:17 EST

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 09:30:59AM +0000, Sudip Mukherjee wrote:
> Sorry, I didn't get the chance to look at it yet and have kept it
> pending for this weekend. But just had a quick look and I was
> wondering if the machine on which you are trying the modprobe has an
> actual parallel port or the machine is not having any parallel port.
> And also will you be able to send me a dmesg please.

Attaching dmesg output from a virtual machine which doesn't seem to have
a (virtual) parallel port. This part:

[ 63.962283] parport_pc 00:05: reported by Plug and Play ACPI
[ 63.962469] parport0: PC-style at 0x378, irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
[ 64.061723] ppdev: user-space parallel port driver

was after I manually killed "/sbin/modprobe -q -- parport_lowlevel" which
was started during boot.

Tomorrow (when I'm in the office) I'll check what happens when I add
a parallel port to the VM and also send you dmesg output from the
physical machine where I first noticed the issue. I'm quite sure it has
parallel port on its motherboard but it might be disabled in BIOS, I'll
have to check.

Michal Kubecek