Re: Linux 5.1-rc2

From: Casey Schaufler
Date: Wed Mar 27 2019 - 18:23:13 EST

On 3/27/2019 3:05 PM, Tetsuo Handa wrote:
On 2019/03/28 6:43, Kees Cook wrote:
I don't see problems for an exclusive LSM user (AA, SELinux, Smack)
also initializing TOMOYO, though. It should be a no-op. Is there some
situation where this is not true?
There should be no problem except some TOMOYO messages are printed.
Okay, so I should send my latest version of the patch to James? Or do
you explicitly want TOMOYO removed from all the CONFIG_LSM default
lines except when selected by CONFIG_DEFAULT_SECURITY_TOMOYO? (I worry
the latter will lead to less testing of the stacking.)

My approach is "opt-in" while your approach is "opt-out". And the problem
here is that people might fail to change CONFIG_LSM from the default value
to what they need. (And Jakub did not change CONFIG_LSM to reflect
CONFIG_DEFAULT_SECURITY_APPARMOR from the old config.) Thus, I suggest
"opt-in" approach; which includes up to only one legacy major LSM and allows
people to change the default value to include multiple legacy major LSMs.

You can propose your latest version. If SELinux/Smack/AppArmor people
prefer "opt-out" approach, I'm fine with "opt-out" approach.

In the long haul we want people to use CONFIG_LSM to set their
list of modules. Providing a backward compatible CONFIG_DEFAULT_SECURITY_BLAH
makes some sense, but it's important that we encourage a mindset change.
Maybe with CONFIG_DEFAULT_SECURITY_LIST with a a full list, which uses the
value from CONFIG_LSM, and make it the default?