Re: perf: perf_fuzzer crashes on Pentium 4 systems

From: Cyrill Gorcunov
Date: Wed Apr 03 2019 - 15:19:50 EST

On Wed, Apr 03, 2019 at 10:59:32AM -0400, Vince Weaver wrote:

> so moving this to its own thread.
>
> There was a two-part question asked.
> 1. Can the perf-fuzzer crash a Pentium 4 system
> 2. Does anyone care anymore?
>
> The answer to #1 turns out to be "yes"
> I'm not sure about #2 (but it's telling my p4 test system hadn't been
> turned on in over 3 years).
>
> In any case the perf_fuzzer can crash my p4 system within an hour or so.
> The debugging from this isn't great, I forget what the preferred debug
> things to enable in the kernel hacking menu are.
>
> Here is one crash that just happened:
>
> The instruction at RIP is unhelpfully
> ./arch/x86/include/asm/processor.h:400
> which is
> DECLARE_PER_CPU_FIRST(union irq_stack_union, irq_stack_union) __visible;
>
> Though looking at the assembly it looks like
> p4_pmu_enable_event() is called with NULL as the paramater.

You know, seems I got what happened -- p4_general_events do
not cover all general events, they stop at PERF_COUNT_HW_BUS_CYCLES,
while more 3 general event left. This is 'cause I've not been following
pmu evolution in code. I will try to cover this events hopefully more
less soon and send you a patch to test (if you don't mind).