Re: Adding plain accesses and detecting data races in the LKMM

From: Andrea Parri
Date: Mon Apr 08 2019 - 01:51:29 EST

> > > Perhaps so. It wasn't clear initially how these should be treated, so
> > > I just ignored them. For example, what should happen here if there
> > > were other statements between the smp_mb__before_atomic and the
> > > xchg_relaxed?
> >
> > I'd say that the link "A ->barrier B" should still be present and that
> > no other barrier-links should appear. More formally, I am suggesting
> > that Before-atomic induced the following barrier-links:
> >
> > [M] ; fencerel(Before-atomic) ; [RMW] ; po? ; [M]
>
> Hmmm, maybe. But exactly where is the barrier introduced? Are you
> saying that on some architectures the barrier is contained in the
> smp_mb__before_atomic and on others it is contained in the
> xchg_relaxed?

The formula was more along the line of "do not assume either of these
cases to hold; use barrier() is you need an unconditional barrier..."
AFAICT, all current implementations of smp_mb__{before,after}_atomic()
provides a compiler barrier with either barrier() or "memory" clobber.

> > I was suggesting to consider something like:
> >
> > let barrier = [...] | mb
> >
> > but I'm still not sure about those After-unlock-lock and After-spinlock.
>
> I don't see any point in saying that After-unlock-lock or
> After-spinlock contains a barrier, because spin_lock and spin_unlock
> already do.

(They would not "contain a barrier", they would induce some when paired
with the specified locking primitive/sequence: this distinction matters
for some implementation here doesn't provide the compiler barrier. But)
I agree with you: these barriers seem either redundant or unnecessary.

> > > That last observation is a good reason for changing the Cat code.
> >
> > You mean in:
> >
> > po-rel | acq-po
> >
> > ? (together with the fencerel()-ifications of Release and Acquire already
> > present in the patch).
>
> No, I meant changing the definition of "barrier" to say:
>
> (po ; [Release]) | ([Acquire] ; po)
>
> (for example) instead of the code you quoted above.

This makes sense to me.

> > > Here's an example I sent to Will a little while ago. Suppose we
> > > have:
> > >
> > > r = rcu_dereference(ptr);
> > > *r = 1;
> > > WRITE_ONCE(x, 2);
> > >
> > > Imagine if the compiler transformed this to:
> > >
> > > r = rcu_dereference(ptr);
> > > WRITE_ONCE(x, 2);
> > > if (r != &x)
> > > *r = 1;
> > >
> > > This is bad because it destroys the address dependency when ptr
> > > contains &x.
> >
> > Oh, indeed! (In fact, we discussed this example before... ;-/) BTW,
> > can you also point out an example which does not involve dependencies
> > (or destruction thereof)?
>
> I believe all the examples did involve dependencies. However, Paul has
> provided several use cases showing that one might have good reasons for
> mixing plain reads with marked acccesses -- but he didn't have any use
> cases for mixing plain writes.

I see. BTW, if we'll converge to add this new flag (or some variant),
it might be a good idea to log some of these examples, maybe just the
snippet above, in a commit message (these could come in handy when we
will be addressed with the question "Why am I seeing this flag?" ...)

> There are some open questions remaining. For instance, given:
>
> r1 = READ_ONCE(*x);
> r2 = *x;
>
> is the compiler allowed to replace the plain read with the value from
> the READ_ONCE? What if the statements were in the opposite order?
> What if the READ_ONCE was changed to WRITE_ONCE?
>
> At the moment, I think it's best if we can ignore these issues.

(To all three questions:) let me put it in these terms: I'm currently
unable to argue: "The compiler isn't allowed, because...". But wait,
which "issues"? am I forgetting some other "bad" examples? (the above
mentioned flag doesn't seem to "cure" plain reads...)

> > I meant removing the term [Marked & R] ; addr ; [Plain & W] or the term
> > [Plain & W] ; wmb ; [Marked & W] from the (interested) definitions of
> > {w,r}-{pre,post}-bounded. (And yes: IIUC, this also means to continue
> > to say "sorry, you're on your own" for some common patterns...)
>
> Yes, indeed it will. Many of the common patterns involved in RCU would
> then be considered to contain races. I don't think people would like
> that.

We will try to give people what they like, no doubts about this. ;-)
Of course, people also do not typically like compilers breaking their
dependencies: ideally, we will flag "all exceptions" (including those
documented in rcu_dereference.txt), but we're not quite there... ;-/

> > Let me try again... Consider the following two steps:
> >
> > - Start with a _race-free_ test program T1 (= LB1),
> >
> > - Apply a "reasonable" source-to-source transformation (2) to obtain a
> > new test T2 (LB2) (in particular, T2 must be race-free);
> >
> > Then the property that I had in mind is described as follows:
> >
> > If S is a valid state of T2 then S is also a valid state of T1; IOW,
> > the tranformation does not introduce new behaviors.
> >
> > (An infamously well-known paper about the study of this property, in the
> > context of the C11 memory model, is available at:
> >
> > http://plv.mpi-sws.org/c11comp/ )
> >
> > This property does not hold in the proposed model (c.f., e.g., the state
> > specified in the "exists" clauses).
>
> I don't regard this as a serious drawback. We know that the memory
> model doesn't behave all that well when it comes to control
> dependencies to marked writes beyond the end of an "if" statement, for
> example. This is related to that.
>
> We also know that not all hardware exhibits all the behaviors allowed
> by the architecture. So it's reasonable that on some computer, T1
> might never exhibit state S (even though it is architecturally allowed
> to) whereas T2 could exhibit S.

Sure. I was just pointing out the fact that the proposed approach does
introduce scenarios (the example above) where this property is violated.
It wasn't intended as "No, no" ;-) but, again, (like for the "if (-) E
else E" scenario, also related...) it seemed worth noticing.

This makes sense to me.

Andrea