Re: Thoughts on simple scanner approach for free page hinting

From: Alexander Duyck
Date: Mon Apr 08 2019 - 14:29:31 EST

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 11:19 AM Michael S. Tsirkin <mst@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> > > Makes sense.

> > > We will need such a way in case we care about dropped hinting requests, yes.

> > > Yes, usually if there is a lot of guest activity, you could however
> > > assume that free pages might get reused either way soon. Of course,
> > > special cases are "freeing XGB and being idle afterwards".

> > > I don't think the two allocations are that complex. The only thing I
> > > consider complex is isolation a lot of pages from different zones etc.
> > > Two allocations, nobody really cares about that. Of course, the fact
> > > that we have to allocate memory from the VCPUs where we currently freed
> > > a page is not optimal. I consider that rather a problem/complex.
> > >
> > > Especially you have a point regarding scalability and multiple VCPUs.

> > > I can imagine that quite some people will have problems with such
> > > "virtualization specific changes" splattered around core memory
> > > management. Would there be a way to manage this data at a different
> > > place, out of core-mm and somehow work on it via callbacks?

> > > Just nothing here that this will require modifications to kdump
> > > (makedumpfile to be precise and the vmcore information exposed from the
> > > kernel), as kdump only checks for the the actual mapcount value to
> > > detect buddy and offline pages (to exclude them from dumps), they are
> > > not treated as flags.
> > >
> > > For now, any mapcount values are really only separate values, meaning
> > > not the separate bits are of interest, like flags would be. Reusing
> > > other flags would make our life a lot easier. E.g. PG_young or so. But
> > > clearing of these is then the problematic part.
> > >
> > > Of course we could use in the kernel two values, Buddy and BuddyOffline.
> > > But then we have to check for two different values whenever we want to
> > > identify a buddy page in the kernel.

> > > As already mentioned, there might be scenarios where the additional
> > > hinting thread might consume too much CPU cycles, especially if there is
> > > little guest activity any you mostly spend time scanning a handful of
> > > free pages and reporting them. I wonder if we can somehow limit the
> > > amount of wakeups/scans for a given period to mitigate this issue.
> > >
> > > One main issue I see with your approach is that we need quite a lot of
> > > core memory management changes. This is a problem. I wonder if we can
> > > factor out most parts into callbacks.
> > >
> > > E.g. in order to detect where to queue a certain page (front/tail), call
> > > a callback if one is registered, mark/check pages in a core-mm unknown
> > > way as offline etc.
> > >
> > > I still wonder if there could be an easier way to combine recording of
> > > hints and one hinting thread, essentially avoiding scanning and some of
> > > the required core-mm changes.
> > In order to resolve the scalability issues associated with my
> > patch-series without compromising with free memory hints, I may explore
> > the idea described below:
> > - Use xbitmap (if possible - earlier suggested by Rik and Wei)
> > corresponding to each zone on a granularity of MAX_ORDER - 2, to track

Yeah, it should be 2MB assuming that MAX_ORDER - 1 is 4MB.

I'm still not a fan of us adding to much additional tracking data. The
problem with xbitmap is that you are going to have to protect that
with the zone lock and then scan it. Basically all you are going to do
is spread the pain out over all the allocate and free tasks since they
are going to have to update this bitmap now in addition to everything
else.

The way I see it we are adding additional overhead. We shouldn't need
much more than a single long per free_area that we maintain in the
virtio_balloon driver.

> > - Define and use counters corresponding to each zone to monitor the
> > amount of memory freed.
> > - As soon as the 64MB free memory threshold is hit wake up the kernel
> > thread which will scan this xbitmap and try to isolate the pages and
> > clear the corresponding bits. (We still have to acquire zone lock to
> > protect the respective xbitmap)
>
> So that's 32 pages then? I'd say just keep them in an array,
> list, tree or hash, bitmap is for when you have nots of pages.

The xbitmap I think is for the free page tracking. The problem is this
could build up to tons of pages while we are waiting on hints to
complete if we have a thread that is dumping a large amount of free
pages.

> > - Report the isolated pages back to the host in a synchronous manner.
> > I still have to work on several details of this idea including xbitmap,
> > but first would like to hear any suggestions/thoughts.

I'm still not a fan of trying to keep track of the free page metadata
in real-time. It is going to be far more expensive to have every free
and alloc have to update the extra piece of data than to just come
through after the fact and scan the new pages that have been added.

If we assume the free_area is populated such that the standard
alloc/free is always adding and removing from the head, then having
our offlining thread pulling from head and adding to tail would
naturally make things function such that our "walk" to get free pages
should be extremely inexpensive since head will always be the recent
stuff, and tail will build up with the offline stuff until there is no
recent stuff left and all the pages are offline.