Re: Removing pcap? (EZX support in mainline linux)

From: Robert Jarzmik
Date: Mon Apr 08 2019 - 15:14:53 EST

Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 8:58 AM Antonio Ospite <ao2@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 16:07:41 +0200
>> Alexandre Belloni <alexandre.belloni@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> adding Robert to CC as he is listed as the current maintainer of
>> ARM/EZX SMARTPHONES in the MAINTAINERS file.
>>
>> > I've had a look at the PCAP RTC driver because I'm removing a few
>> > deprecated APIs. While doing so, I've discovered that the driver has
>> > never worked properly because PCAP_RTC_TOD_MASK and PCAP_RTC_DAY_MASK
>> > are both missing a bit so every day would roll over at 18:12:15 and the
>> > whole the date would roll over in 2014.
>> >
>> > I discussed with Arnd about 59ee93a528b9 ("ARM: pxa: remove irq_to_gpio
>> > from ezx-pcap driver") and it seems the whole EZX support has been
>> > broken for a while.
>> >

>> As Harald said in another message I tried taking over OpenEZX for a
>> while, but eventually lost interest.
>>
>> JFTR some parts of the project has been backed up here:
>> https://gitlab.com/openezx
>>
>> I should also have a git backup of the wiki somewhere.
>>
>> > Is it worth fixing the RTC driver or could I remove it?
>> >

>> I am not aware of any active user but I'd leave the final word to
>> Robert, IIRC he received some EZX hardware "recently".
>>
>> FWIW I think EZX code can be removed if it is a maintenance burden for
>> anyone.
>
> I would prefer if we could either keep or remove all of the ezx code, but not
> just remove a particular driver. Removing it all now would let us skip that
> discussion the next time someone has a problem with another device driver
> for it.

I'm on the same page here. I'm not strongly either for or against EZX removal
(which would impact AFAIK 6 old Motorola smartphones).

If I can find the wiki archives to cross-check the mask issue (especially
PCAP_RTC_DAY_MASK), I wouldn't mind seeing a patch on that if it is kept.

If I can make the EZX boot (the one I got from Antonia), I could even test
it. As if it's worth it, I'm not personally an active user of this specific
platform, so if no one is, one less would be less maintainance burden.

Cheers.

--
Robert