Re: Support for 2D engines/blitters in V4L2 and DRM

From: Tomasz Figa
Date: Thu Apr 18 2019 - 05:22:10 EST

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 6:14 PM Paul Kocialkowski
<paul.kocialkowski@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2019-04-18 at 18:09 +0900, Tomasz Figa wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 5:55 PM Paul Kocialkowski
> > <paul.kocialkowski@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Hi Daniel,

> > Out of curiosity, what area did you find a 2D blitter useful for?
>
> The initial motivation is to bring up a DDX with that for platforms
> that have 2D engines but no free software GPU drivers yet.
>
> I also have a personal project in the works where I'd like to implement
> accelerated UI rendering in 2D. The idea is to avoid using GL entirely.
>
> That last point is in part because I have a GPU-less device that I want
> to get going with mainline: http://linux-sunxi.org/F60_Action_Camera

Okay, thanks.

I feel like the typical DRM model with a render node and a userspace
library would make sense for these specific use cases on these
specific hardware platforms then.

Hopefully the availability of open drivers for 3D engines continues to improve.

Best regards,
Tomasz