Re: [GIT PULL] locking changes for v5.2

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon May 06 2019 - 15:44:30 EST

* Waiman Long <longman9394@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5/6/19 4:50 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > Linus,
> >
> > Please pull the latest locking-core-for-linus git tree from:
> >
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/tip.git locking-core-for-linus
> >
> > # HEAD: d671002be6bdd7f77a771e23bf3e95d1f16775e6 locking/lockdep: Remove unnecessary unlikely()
> >
> > [ Dependency note: this tree depends on commits also in the RCU tree,
> > please disregard this pull request if you weren't able to pull the RCU
> > tree for some reason. ]
> >
> > Here are the locking changes in this cycle:
> >
> > - rwsem unification and simpler micro-optimizations to prepare for more
> > intrusive (and more lucrative) scalability improvements in v5.3
> > (Waiman Long)
>
> Is it possible to pull in also my "locking/rwsem: Prevent decrement of
> reader count before  increment" patch for 5.2? The rests can wait until 5.3.

Sure - how close is this to a straight:

git revert 70800c3c0cc5

?

If it's close enough then please resubmit this as a 'Revert "..."' patch,
which I'll queue up in locking/urgent.

It also is a performance, not a correctness fix, and should probably get
a Cc: stable as well, right?

In any case it doesn't directly affect the locking/core bits pull request
for Linus, 70800c3c0cc5 is already upstream.

Thanks,

Ingo