RE: [PATCH v5 0/7] Extend write-hint framework, and add write-hint for Ext4 journal
Date: Fri May 10 2019 - 01:33:25 EST
Hi Jens & other maintainers,
If this patch-set is in fine shape now, can it please be considered for merge in near future?
From: Kanchan Joshi [mailto:joshi.k@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2019 4:50 PM
To: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; linux-block@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; linux-nvme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; linux-fsdevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; linux-ext4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: prakash.v@xxxxxxxxxxx; anshul@xxxxxxxxxxx; Kanchan Joshi <joshi.k@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [PATCH v5 0/7] Extend write-hint framework, and add write-hint for Ext4 journal
V5 series, towards extending write-hint/streams infrastructure for kernel-components, and adding support for sending write-hint with Ext4/JBD2 journal.
Here is the history/changelog -
Changes since v4:
- Removed write-hint field from request. bi_write_hint in bio is used for
merging checks now.
- Modified write-hint-to-stream conversion logic. Now, kernel hints are mapped
to upper range of stream-ids, while user-hints continue to remain mapped to
lower range of stream-ids.
Changes since v3:
- Correction in grouping related changes into patches
- Rectification in commit text at places
Changes since v2:
- Introduce API in block layer so that drivers can register stream info. Added
new limit in request queue for this purpose.
- Block layer does the conversion from write-hint to stream-id.
- Stream feature is not disabled anymore if device reports less streams than
a particular number (which was set as 4 earlier).
- Any write-hint beyond reported stream-count turn to 0.
- New macro "WRITE_LIFE_KERN_MIN" can be used as base by kernel mode components.
Changes since v1:
- introduce four more hints for in-kernel use, as recommended by Dave chinner
& Jens axboe. This isolates kernel-mode hints from user-mode ones.
- remove mount-option to specify write-hint, as recommended by Jan kara &
Dave chinner. Rather, FS always sets write-hint for journal. This gets ignored
if device does not support stream.
- Removed code-redundancy for write_dirty_buffer (Jan kara's review comment)
Kanchan Joshi (7):
fs: introduce write-hint start point for in-kernel hints
block: increase stream count for in-kernel use
block: introduce API to register stream information with block-layer
block: introduce write-hint to stream-id conversion
nvme: register stream info with block layer
fs: introduce APIs to enable passing write-hint with buffer-head
fs/ext4,jbd2: add support for sending write-hint with journal
block/blk-core.c | 29 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
block/blk-merge.c | 4 ++--
block/blk-settings.c | 12 ++++++++++++
drivers/nvme/host/core.c | 23 ++++++-----------------
fs/buffer.c | 18 ++++++++++++++++--
fs/ext4/ext4_jbd2.h | 1 +
fs/ext4/super.c | 2 ++
fs/jbd2/commit.c | 11 +++++++----
fs/jbd2/journal.c | 3 ++-
fs/jbd2/revoke.c | 3 ++-
include/linux/blkdev.h | 8 ++++++--
include/linux/buffer_head.h | 3 +++
include/linux/fs.h | 2 ++
include/linux/jbd2.h | 8 ++++++++
14 files changed, 97 insertions(+), 30 deletions(-)