Re: [4/5] Coccinelle: put_device: Extend when constraints for two SmPL ellipses

From: Markus Elfring
Date: Tue May 14 2019 - 01:57:52 EST

>> A SmPL ellipsis was specified for a search approach so that additional
>> source code would be tolerated between an assignment to a local variable
>> and the corresponding null pointer check.
>>
>> But such code should be restricted.
>> * The local variable must not be reassigned there.
>> * It must also not be forwarded to an other assignment target.
>>
>> Take additional casts for these code exclusion specifications into account
>> together with optional parentheses.
>
> NACK.

Can you agree to any information which I presented in the commit message?

> You don't need so many type metavariables.

It seems that the Coccinelle software can cope also with my SmPL code addition.
You might feel uncomfortable with the suggested changes for a while.

> Type metavariables in the same ... can be the same.

Such information is good to know for the proper usage of specifications
after a SmPL ellipsis.

* Can it become required to identify involved source code placeholders
by extra metavariables?

* Would you like to clarify the probability any more how often the shown
type casts will be identical?

Regards,
Markus