Re: Linux Testing Microconference at LPC

From: Brendan Higgins
Date: Wed May 15 2019 - 19:32:24 EST

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 04:44:19PM -0600, shuah wrote:
> Hi Sasha and Dhaval,
>
> On 4/11/19 11:37 AM, Dhaval Giani wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > This is a call for participation for the Linux Testing microconference
> > at LPC this year.
> >
> > For those who were at LPC last year, as the closing panel mentioned,
> > testing is probably the next big push needed to improve quality. From
> > getting more selftests in, to regression testing to ensure we don't
> > break realtime as more of PREEMPT_RT comes in, to more stable distros,
> > we need more testing around the kernel.
> >
> > We have talked about different efforts around testing, such as fuzzing
> > (using syzkaller and trinity), automating fuzzing with syzbot, 0day
> > testing, test frameworks such as ktests, smatch to find bugs in the
> > past. We want to push this discussion further this year and are
> > interested in hearing from you what you want to talk about, and where
> > kernel testing needs to go next.
> >
> > Please let us know what topics you believe should be a part of the
> > micro conference this year.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Sasha and Dhaval
> >

> A talk on KUnit from Brendan Higgins will be good addition to this
> Micro-conference. I am cc'ing Brendan on this thread.
>
> Please consider adding it.

Thanks Shuah!

Presumably I should still submit the talk on the website (however, it
looks like the Testing Microconference isn't available as a track option
yet...)? Or is it okay if I just post the proposal here?

Also, for the framing of the talk (assuming people are indeed
interested). I figure people will want an intro along with some
background context, and a discussion of future work. Nevertheless, would
people like more of a demo talk or more of an audience driven discussion
on where we should go and what we should do? Or something else? Really,
I am open to talk about whatever everyone else wants.

For context on KUnit, you can read the LWN article about it here[1], or
you can see the current version of the patchset here[2].

Thanks!

[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/780985/
[2] https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/5/14/834