Re: Linux Testing Microconference at LPC

From: Brendan Higgins
Date: Wed May 22 2019 - 17:05:25 EST

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 08:36:49PM -0400, Sasha Levin wrote:
> On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 04:44:19PM -0600, shuah wrote:
> > Hi Sasha and Dhaval,
> >
> > On 4/11/19 11:37 AM, Dhaval Giani wrote:
> > > Hi Folks,
> > >
> > > This is a call for participation for the Linux Testing microconference
> > > at LPC this year.
> > >
> > > For those who were at LPC last year, as the closing panel mentioned,
> > > testing is probably the next big push needed to improve quality. From
> > > getting more selftests in, to regression testing to ensure we don't
> > > break realtime as more of PREEMPT_RT comes in, to more stable distros,
> > > we need more testing around the kernel.
> > >
> > > We have talked about different efforts around testing, such as fuzzing
> > > (using syzkaller and trinity), automating fuzzing with syzbot, 0day
> > > testing, test frameworks such as ktests, smatch to find bugs in the
> > > past. We want to push this discussion further this year and are
> > > interested in hearing from you what you want to talk about, and where
> > > kernel testing needs to go next.
> > >
> > > Please let us know what topics you believe should be a part of the
> > > micro conference this year.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Sasha and Dhaval
> > >

> > A talk on KUnit from Brendan Higgins will be good addition to this
> > Micro-conference. I am cc'ing Brendan on this thread.
> >
> > Please consider adding it.
>
> FWIW, the topic of unit tests is already on the schedule. There seems to
> be two different sub-topics here (kunit vs KTF) so there's a good
> discussion to be had here on many levels.

Cool, so do we just want to go with that? Have a single slot for KUnit
and KTF combined?

We can each present our work up to this point; maybe offer some
background and rationale on why we made the decision we have and then we
can have some moderated discussion on, pros, cons, next steps, etc?

Cheers