Re: tc_classid access in skb bpf context

From: Matthew Cover
Date: Wed May 22 2019 - 17:31:18 EST

On 05/22/2019 01:52 AM, Matthew Cover wrote:
> > > __sk_buff has a member tc_classid which I'm interested in accessing from the skb bpf context.
> > >
> > > A bpf program which accesses skb->tc_classid compiles, but fails verification; the specific failure is "invalid bpf_context access".
> > >
> > > if (skb->tc_classid != 0)
> > >  return 1;
> > > return 0;
> > >
> > > Some of the tests in tools/testing/selftests/bpf/verifier/ (those on tc_classid) further confirm that this is, in all likelihood, intentional behavior.
> > >
> > > The very similar bpf program which instead accesses skb->mark works as desired.
> > >
> > > if (skb->mark != 0)
> > >  return 1;
> > > return 0;
> >
> > You should be able to access skb->tc_classid, perhaps you're using the wrong program
> > type? BPF_PROG_TYPE_SCHED_CLS is supposed to work (if not we'd have a regression).
> >

> I am in fact using BPF_PROG_TYPE_SOCKET_FILTER and using the program as PACKET_FANOUT_DATA with PACKET_FANOUT_EBPF.
>
> I have been working on a series of utils which leverage PACKET_FANOUT to provide various per-socket-fd (per-cpu, per-queue, per-rx-flow-hash-indirection-table-idx) statistics and pcap files. While playing with PACKET_FANOUT_EBPF, I realized that I could use the bpf program to categorize packets in ways packet-filter(7) does not provide.
>
> As a concrete example, I plan to build a util `rxtxmark` which could be passed something like `--mark-list 42,88`. This would be translated to a bpf program where the return code is the ordinality of the mark in the list.
>
> if (skb->mark == 42)
>  return 1;
> if (skb->mark == 88)
>  return 2;
> return 0;
>
> Packets enqueued to fd0 are simply ignored. Packets enqueued to the other fds are processed into pcaps and statistics.
>
> While I may build a util for tc_classid which does per-user-requested-classid pcaps and statistics like `rxtxmark` does for marks, I'm also interested in using tc_classid as a simple way to capture tx packets from a long running program on the fly.
>
> The program under inspection would simply be added to a net_cls cgroup which has a unique classid defined. A bpf program would be attached to map packets with that classid to fd1. While I can do this already by using iptables to translate the tc_classid to a mark, that complicates the implementation greatly since the firewall has to be touched (which is probably overreaching for a packet capture util and would most likely be left to the user to configure).

And only now do I discover netsniff-ng; a seriously cool set of utils! Thank you for your efforts there Daniel!

I still plan to continue advancing my various PACKET_FANOUT utils and eventually seeing how much, if any, of the common code would be of interest to the libpcap maintainers. But very cool that a quick look at the netsniff-ng help file shows that rxtxcpu et al could be accomplished with the right number of concurrent invocations of netsniff-ng.