Re: [GIT PULL] KVM changes for Linux 5.2-rc2

From: Paolo Bonzini
Date: Sun May 26 2019 - 13:57:11 EST

On 26/05/19 17:51, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 2:56 AM Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/virt/kvm/kvm.git tags/for-linus
>
> This says it's a tag, but it's not. It's just a commit pointer (also
> called a "lightweight tag", because while it technically is exactly
> the same thing as a branch, it's obviously in the tag namespace and
> git will _treat_ it like a tag).
>
> Normally your tags are proper signed tags. So I'm not pulling this,
> waiting for confirmation.

Shell history shows that I typed

git push kvm +HEAD:tags/for-linus

(which matches the "git push kvm +HEAD:queue" that I often do, and
therefore can be explained by muscle memory).

The interesting thing is that not only git will treat lightweight tags
like, well, tags: in addition, because I _locally_ had a tag object that
pointed to the same commit and had the same name, git-request-pull
included my local tag's message in its output! I wonder if this could
be considered a bug.

I have now pushed the actual tag object to the same place.

Paolo