Re: Thinkpad X60 fails to boot while "hot"

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Mon May 27 2019 - 05:43:17 EST

On Mon 2019-05-27 10:51:55, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> So if you compile a kernel, then reboot, boot will hang after "Freeing SMP
> alternatives memory" (and then wastes power, making thermal situation even worse).

Normally, next message is "smpboot: CPU0: Genuine Intel...".

I added some printks, and check_bugs() returns. Then it goes to ACPI and never
comes back...

kernel-parameters.txt points to Documentation/acpi/debug.txt, but that one does not exist.

Any ideas what debugging parameters to use for ACPI? I either get nothing or
so much that machine does not boot...

> Unfortunately, threshold for non-booting system is quite low, fan does _not_
> go full speed after reboot. Annoying for kernel development :-(. Force power off,
> wait for a while, power on, and it works again.
>
> The bug is there for a long long time... probably 4.0 is affected, probably even
> older.

Quick test, and 4.6.0 seems to be affected.