Re: linusw/for-next boot bisection: v5.2-rc1-8-g73a790c68d7e on rk3288-veyron-jaq

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Tue May 28 2019 - 04:45:22 EST

Hi Guillaume,

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 10:36 AM Guillaume Tucker
<guillaume.tucker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 28/05/2019 08:45, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 9:13 AM Guillaume Tucker
> > <guillaume.tucker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> This commit has now been reverted in mainline. Would it be OK
> >> for you to rebase your for-next branch on v5.2-rc2 or cherry-pick
> >> the revert to avoid recurring bisections?
> >>
> >> Ideally this should have been fixed or reverted in mainline
> >> before v5.2-rc1 was released, or even earlier when this was first
> >> found in -next on 13th May. Unfortunately it was overlooked and
> >> then spread to other branches like yours.
> >
> > I'm afraid it's gonna spread to even more for-next branches, as most
> > subsystem maintainers base their for-next branch on the previous rc1
> > release. Typically maintainers do not rebase their for-next branches,
> > and do not cherry-pick fixes, unless they are critical for their
> > subsystem. So you can expect this to show up in e.g. the m68k for-next
> > branch soon...
>
> That is what I feared, thanks for confirming.
>
> > Can't you mark this as a known issue, to prevent spending cycles on the
> > same bisection, and sending out more bisection reports for the same
> > issue?
>
> Not really, so I've disabled bisections in the linux-gpio tree
> and a few other maintainers' trees for now. I'll see if we can
> come up with a more systematic way of suppressing bisections in
> similar cases (i.e. the issue has been fixed in mainline later
> than the base commit for the branch being tested).

Having a systematic way would be good, else you will have to disable
most other maintainers' trees soon, severely limiting test coverage,
or fall back to linux-next testing only, as linux-next will always include\
latest mainline.

Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert