[PATCHv6 0/3] vfio/mdev: Improve vfio/mdev core module
From: Parav Pandit
Date: Mon Jun 03 2019 - 15:00:59 EST
As we would like to use mdev subsystem for wider use case as
discussed in ,  apart from an offline discussion.
This use case is also discussed with wider forum in  in track
'Lightweight NIC HW functions for container offload use cases'.
This series is prep-work and improves vfio/mdev module in following ways.
Patch-1 Improves the mdev create/remove sequence to match Linux
bus, device model
Patch-2 Avoid recreating remove file on stale device to eliminate
Patch-3 Fix race conditions of create/remove with parent removal.
This is improved version than using srcu as srcu can take seconds
This series is tested using
(a) mtty with VM using vfio_mdev driver for positive tests and device
removal while device in use by VM using vfio_mdev driver.
(b) mlx5 core driver using RFC patches  and internal patches.
Internal patches are large and cannot be combined with this prep-work
patches. It will posted once prep-work completes.
- Fixed mdev leak on fail to acquire semaphore
- Corrected access to accessed
- Avoided using ret and directly checking try_lock result
- Addressed comments from Alex Williamson
- Added comment around mdev_device_remove_common()
- Added lockdep assert to catch any missing lock
- Corrected 'system' to 'sequence' in 2nd patch commit log
- Refactored mdev_device_remove_cb() to remove unused parent
- Added Cornelia's Reviewed-by signature to already reviewed patches 1, 2.
- Addressed comments from Cornelia for unbalanced mutex_unlock
- Correct typo of subsquent to subsequent in patch-1 commit log
- Instead of using refcount and completion, using rwsem to synchronize
between mdev creation/deletion and parent unregistration
- Addressed comment from Cornelia
- Corrected several errors in commit log, updated commit log
- Dropped already merged 7 patches
- Addressed comments from Alex
- Inserted the device checking loop in Patch-6 as original code
- Added patch 7 to 10
- Added fixes for race condition in create/remove with parent removal
Patch-10 uses simplified refcount and completion, instead of srcu
which might take seconds to minutes on busy system.
- Added fix for device create/remove sequence to match
Linux device, bus model
- Dropped device placement on bus sequence patch for this series
- Addressed below comments from Alex, Kirti, Maxim.
- Added Review-by tag for already reviewed patches.
- Dropped incorrect patch of put_device().
- Corrected Fixes commit tag for sysfs remove sequence fix
- Split last 8th patch to smaller refactor and fixes patch
- Following coding style commenting format
- Fixed accidental delete of mutex_lock in mdev_unregister_device
- Renamed remove helped to mdev_device_remove_common().
- Rebased for uuid/guid change
Parav Pandit (3):
vfio/mdev: Improve the create/remove sequence
vfio/mdev: Avoid creating sysfs remove file on stale device removal
vfio/mdev: Synchronize device create/remove with parent removal
drivers/vfio/mdev/mdev_core.c | 135 +++++++++++++++----------------
drivers/vfio/mdev/mdev_private.h | 4 +-
drivers/vfio/mdev/mdev_sysfs.c | 6 +-
3 files changed, 68 insertions(+), 77 deletions(-)